No matter what your political persuasion, this is your guide to influencing lawmakers, candidates, and reporters. It reveals fifteen powerful, proven grassroots actions that persuade lawmakers and candidates to see things your way.
Real-life examples of effective letters, e-mail, phone calls, public testimony, and news story pitches from concerned citizens just like you illustrate the actions.
One-Hour Activist: The 15 Most Powerful Actions You Can Take to Fight for the Issues and Candidates You Care About
by Christopher Kush
Softcover: 240 pages
ISBN: 9780787973001, 0787973009
Each action is designed to grab the attention of your representatives and build relationships that serve your issues over the long run. And each action takes less than an hour to complete, so you can make a difference without giving up your life! The One-Hour Activist is packed with insider advice from elected officials, professional organizers, lobbyists, and journalists who share state-of-the-art tips for getting your message across.
Tactics you are offered:
- How to distinguish your letters and e-mail in the flood of correspondence elected officials receive
- Why lawmakers crave your personal stories, local information, and opinions
- Powerful ways to influence candidates so you represent more than a single vote on Election Day
- Strategies for identifying, tracking, and analyzing current legislation
- Ways to neutralize the efforts of your opposition
- Political organizations than can coordinate your efforts with others who share your views
- What local newspaper editors seek to publish in letters from readers like you
- Advanced grassroots actions that include meeting with elected officials, delivering public testimony, and pitching news stories
Christopher Kush is a nationally known grassroots advocacy expert. He has trained thousands of advocates to fight in a variety of issue areas. As president of Soapbox Consulting, he has created training seminars and Lobby Days for many national associations including the American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, Arthritis Foundation, and the American Psychological Association.
You may enjoy the books page, where book titles are alphabetized, or browse by subject or topic. We also have book reviews listed chronologically here. To search by author name, you can use the search box on the right sidebar of this page.